Saturday, September 24, 2005

Cramps - So uncool.

I just played my mixed touch rugby finals today and no, we didn’t win; much to my uttermost disappointment. Well, I wouldn’t be all that sad if I had been able to give my best. Thing is, I ended up spending more time nursing my cramps out of the field than actually playing on the field. You see, cramps have always been a rarity for me in the past even in conditions much tougher than what I had experienced today. Of all times, it just decided to come today (the last time I heard someone say this, she was about to go for a swim, if you know what I mean). Regardless of how much deep heat spray and rub the physio applied for me, it just couldn’t alleviate the pain but only temporarily stopped the cramping. I had to keep going back to the physio but somehow her rubbing just didn’t help. At one point, the pain as a result of the heat coming from all the excessive deep heat cream and spray was more excruciating than the cramps itself. Even at the end of the match my leg was still “coated” with cream and I was feeling so bloated because I had drunk too much isotonic drinks. Just yesterday, I was lying on my bed going through the moves and things I was wanted to do on the field. And today, none of it materialized. It was unexpected to say the least. What was optimism turned out to be complete disbelief that such misfortune could befall upon me. We needed everyone to be in optimum condition and because I wasn’t, I felt that I had let the team down. Knowing that I could have done so much more for my team just made it worse.

I am going to put this all behind me now. I will be back. Next time, I will come back faster, better and more prepared. No more excuses. Meantime, it’s party at rouge!