Sunday, December 11, 2005

ZoukOut turns out to be a total sell-out

So here’s a spread on the highlights and lowdown during that fateful night:

Nic, our resident Vet, stayed sober (or so I thought), was dancing with some friends from Australia and stayed much later than I did even though it started to rain after 4am.

Allan, Liwen and his gal, in a desperate effort to avoid the rain, took the wrong bus, nearly left Sentosa without their car and eventually called me to pick them from the entrance back to carpark coz’ they got stranded.

Alex, our dear friend who just came back from Australia, was probably the only person in the whole island that night to be wearing white socks and brown shoes on the beach.

Jeannie left so early that by the time I got in, she had already gone home. Largely coz' she had to work tomorrow. I kinda feel bad for buying the tickets for her in view of the fact that she may have gone only after feeling obligated to do so (although she claims she really wanted to go).

Noel was so sloshed, I didn’t have any opportunity to dance with him the whole night. He claims that it is because he drank “a lot” (He and Faye disappeared somewhere else because he needed to erm…lie down).

Apart from knocking my brother’s tooth off after slapping his face with the back of her hand in an effort to pull off the Zoukout entry strap, big and burly Brenda also spent a lot of time worrying about her younger cousin who was happily prancing around until she realised that it was past her curfew(with the music that good, who could blame her? :).

My brother was so high on the music that Liwen turned to me to complain that he had problems keeping up because my brother kept hopping to bass of the music like an energizer bunny. By the way, he's going to the dentist tomorrow to have his new tooth done.

As for the rest, I’m sure that they had fun, that they had not had enough to drink and that they did not do anything they would regret afterwards. For those I owe a favor to, I will most willingly pay back when I get some invites for MOS’s grand opening come this Friday as promised by some friends. Meantime, we’ll see how it goes…

We tried our best to stay together as a group but our efforts fell into the depths of futility largely due to the droves of people who flooded the tiny island of Sentosa as if we were welcoming in another new millennium. Although a lot of people were unsure about whether they were going about a month ago, all the hemming and hawing finally came to a close only a week before the event. Fortunately, with both Destiny’s and Crystal’s help through someone working inside Zouk, we managed to get the 16 tickets we initially needed. The other two required help from Lynn and another from Sheena (who were both so nice to have asked around for us). Nic, Lynn and I had to wait till 1am to finally get into action because of a delay in getting one of the tickets. Even so, I think the relentless waiting, the ruthless pushing and the incessant shoving also made the experience a one to be remembered. By the time we got in, my friends who went in first had inconsiderately finished the food as well as the drinks that Brenda so thoughtfully bought for us in advance at 12am. Needless to say, everyone chided us when we finally entered the Trance/ House Arena at 1am.

I have to point out also that the event was unexpectedly quite well-organized. Though the map inside did not offer any insight whatsoever on which Arena played what music or where the various places we wanted to go to were, I personally felt that the management at Zouk had done a good job learning from its past mistakes and made improvements on the crowd control, area restrictions, quality of music and standards of the food, amenities and other forms of entertainment. The variety was there but I feel that there is still much to be desired in terms of the drinks queue at the drinks bar. I felt like a log of wood when I was waiting for my turn to order my drinks even after Lynn had devised an ingenious plan of having both of us start off at different queues; one for the coupon and one for the drinks. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong queue which was the drinks queue because I ended up queuing for almost 45 minutes while Lynn stood behind waiting patiently until she finally gave up and decided to sit when Charmaine came to join her. I felt like a fool when all I ordered was a beer and a sprite while everyone else around me were ordering at least 10 drinks at once.

It was nice meeting some old and some new friends that night. Although a lot of us were pretty apprehensive about the turnout and the validity of the event, it didn’t fail to impress everyone throughout the whole frenzy. Almost 20 of us went all the way down to the lofty island of Sentosa to have a good time and it was time and money well-spent. The last time we had a beach party like this was probably when we were still teenagers welcoming in the new millennium.

Not directed at anyone but I'm posting this quote coz' I liked it when I read it.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Oscar Wilde