Saturday, January 01, 2005

2005!

As usual, Zouk was a place where you’ll meet old and occasionally some new friends. Invariably, last night was good because NYE was spent with pals, old and new. This was despite the fact that everyone had to temporarily vacate Zouk, Phuture and Velvet to allow licensing officials to do a tedious headcount. Zouk, being the “law-abiding” company they always were, was allowed to continue with the party only half an hour later. Fortunately for some of my friends and me, we were comfortably sipping on ice-cold barley and gleefully munching puffs at the Zouk Deli while everyone else had to wait outside in frustration. After some eager anticipation, the officials left while the high spirits of festivity stayed. Putting the lukewarm intermission aside, we grooved with verve and style to the slew of R & B tracks till dawn.

So much for a toned down New Year’s Eve celebration. The Tsunami-stricken countries of Asia scraped their NYE celebrations because of the recent disaster which caused prevalent death and impending disease. For those who read the news, the Singapore government actually asked the people of Singapore to tone down their celebrations. Don’t think anyone at Zouk last night read the news though. We had a smashing good time.

But no, in no way, is that intended to poke fun at their misery. As much as I enjoyed myself, I would have pretty much supported the Singapore government if they wanted to scrap all NYE celebrations too. In fact, I was telling my friend that I would consider going to those countries in need to help out with the humanitarian efforts. Just a thought but I would seriously consider if I don’t have to pay for my own expenses.

Happy New Year everyone!