Sunday, January 23, 2005

Day 1, Malacca.

It has really been a heart-wrenching experience just watching my grandparents so loving again. Indeed they say in times of difficulty you really learn and remember how to cherish your loved ones is true. My grandma, who is suffering from dementia, was holding the frail hands of my visibly traumatized grandfather as all of my relatives encompassed his bed; a rarity for the both of them because they’ve seldom been known to be so loving towards one another. It was a “Kodak Moment” but my “most intelligent” brother said that he didn’t think bringing the camera would be such a good idea (well, he did regret too though). Perhaps before we left Singapore he, and including myself, did not realize the seriousness of my grandpa’s condition and the gravity of the situation. My eyes were soon welded up with tears as I saw the both of them holding each other’s hands so lovingly. In fact, I think half the room had people raring to let go of those tears we found it so hard to keep from flowing.

Good to see all my uncles and aunties together again. Due to job commitments and geographical reasons, most of us have not been able to see each other very often. Despite the long period of time apart, we could feel the closeness we once shared the moment we walked into grandpa’s hospital room. The air of emotion intangibly present in the room made it easy for all of us to pick up from where we left off effortlessly. 2nd uncle lost a lot of weight thanks to Yoga but he sure hasn’t lost his ability to positively influence those around him (which I will elaborate on later). Little aunty has yet to offer me a test-drive on her Z4 while I, on the other hand, have yet to visit her shop at FEP which is closing down soon. Little uncle’s kids are looking nerdier each year (but at that age, who isn't?! haha) but he sure is generous about offering me some Oakleys from his shop (of which I have politely declined). 4th uncle, once again, never fails to impress me with his eloquence and interpersonal skills. I’m glad God gave me the opportunity to visit my very inspiring relatives once again.

Before you get the wrong idea, my grandpa isn’t gonna die or anything. You see, it was a simple operation on his gut to eliminate a simple problem. Thanks to either the incompetence or the negligence of the doctor who performed the surgery, my poor grandpa has to suffer more pain that he should. Either way, my uncles and aunties have decided on two courses of action.

1. Report him to the medical council, demand an apology, charge him for the medical bills of the second operation which failed under a private settlement.

2. Sue his pompous ass through a good Indian, litigation lawyer. This, however, is an alternative solution because getting another doctor to testify against another is difficult because it’ll be hard to find someone willing to bear witness against a fellow professional (it’s just like that, unless you’re a lawyer of course). And we can’t get the doctor whom we consulted in Singapore because of political implications. In fact, the doctor we consulted urged us against suing this Dr Chua (the fool).

We all felt that we had to take action not only because we wanted this arrogant person to learn his lesson, we also wanted to further prevent his future actions from hurting other patients. Whether he couldn’t care less or whether he was careless, he did not show any remorse or sympathy for any of my family members and my grandpa. He must have thought that we were trying to get a free-lunch out of the operation when he questioned our ability to pay the bill. Not knowing that most of my relatives could easily be more well off than he is. Nevertheless, he has to understand that no amount of money compensated can ever bring my grandpa back if he were to leave us. He has to understand that by pushing forward the operation without the knowledge of my relatives, he could easily have deprived us of last look at our grandpa alive. He did not have the basic courtesy to keep us informed or the professionalism to ask for our permission! He even had the cheek to charge my uncle for a consultation fee when he asked for an explanation. I am just tapping my fingers on the table now just to see how my uncles are gonna fix this guy good and proper.

In my opinion, he deserves it. For now I only pray that if my grandfather is in pain, Lord Jesus will relief him and if he must have pain, then I pray that the duration be shortened. Whether he stays or goes, I leave it in the almighty hands of our Lord.