Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Volkswagen Beetle.

I was walking back home when I received a surprise call from a customer service officer working in Citibank telling me that I’ve won a Volkswagen Beetle. I was incredulous at first because regardless of how hard I was trying to jog my memory, I just could not recall any inkling of an instance whatsoever of me entering into a lucky draw like this before. In fact, I don’t even have a Citibank credit or debit card. Nevertheless, while I was still semi-dumdstruck by this stroke of good luck I was thinking God might have just shown pity on me and so He decided to reward me with this car (Then my good friend and I will be driving the same car out). Then the customer service officer asked for my I/C No. and verified my particulars. After which he informed me that the COE is not included (No biggie, that’s affordable). At this point I was thinking, “Who needs a job now when I just won a car!” Elated, floating on cloud nine and already fantasizing about what I’m going to do with this sudden rush of fortune, I asked the man, “So what do I have to buy or pay to get this car that I’ve just won?” Then he said, “You have to come down to Sentosa this Saturday, HAHAHA!” My heart sank. Those imaginary bubbles of how I am going to brag to everybody I know about my new car, how I am gonna ferry chicks around in it and how I am going to be the envy of my friends seemed to pop in mid-air instantaneously with mortifying effects. I think my face flushed. Then the guy over the phone said, “This is Weishun, LAH!” It was an old friend I had not met for a long time (Long for an apparently good reason) and at that very moment I wanted to just immediately reply with a, “No, I’m not free this Saturday you dickhead.” But I kept my composure and pretended that I knew this was a prank in the very first place and said calmly, “Aiyah, I KNEW IT!” I swear I would have given him the tightest arm lock around his neck if he were to suddenly appear beside me and stop his breathing for a minute or two, maybe three, then again four would be good.