Monday, May 16, 2005

Speak to me in Mandarin la.

After several weeks of classroom training with DBS bank, it has been brought to my attention that my command of the mandarin language is utterly atrocious. This is markedly due to my years of neglecting my mother tongue as well as the constant usage of and obstinate reluctance to revert from a language my forefathers from China and Burma would have thought to be foreign. I have now, as a result, resorted to watching more mandarin shows on TV channels TCS 8 and Channel U whenever I have the opportunity. Quite frankly, I’m beginning to enjoy watching these shows, dramas and serials; most of which I would have shunned just a month back; largely due to the fact that the stories and sense of humour being unique to me. You see, this change of behavior all began after my trainer got my colleagues and I to play this game in which each group had to translate words like “Bonds”, “Structured Deposits” and “Unit Trusts” to mandarin and afterwards write it down. I had zilch to contribute throughout and it got really boring after awhile just watching some of my classmates discussing in mandarin. At least I wasn’t alone coz’ I think half the class was quite lost. Nevertheless, I learnt a lesson then and I am intent on improving the language that defines my roots and heritage. Who knows? If you’re sitting in my car the next time, you may hear me listening to Yes 93.3!