Saturday, January 08, 2005

Age requires no respect if it has not acquired wisdom.

I just returned from a soccer match against a veteran team. Since it was such an interesting encounter, I guess I’ll just Blog the damn experience. Playing for New Creation Church, I think the difference in our average age could well be above ten years. Nevertheless, I was exceedingly disappointed in the way these veterans handled themselves as well as the game. They lacked the wisdom they were obviously supposed to possess. And by saying this, I am not referring to their skill level or their lack of tactics and strategy. Now these veterans are mostly in their 40s, probably married with children of their own and tasted more bitterness in their lives than most of us put together. In spite of their “impeccable credentials”, I saw ill-discipline, unnecessary lost of tempers and flying tackles in reaction to what they perceived as malicious challenges from our players. Most of the time they even had the cheek to tell us that they’re old and slow. That reason, I found to be an extremely poor excuse and blatantly insulted our intelligence. Furthermore, the game was almost abandoned half way through. Ken, our player-manager, attempted to kick one of the opponents fell to the ground after he gave a swooping kick at his unprotected shin (how smart right, kick people then fall down) That resulted in a free-for-all melee between livid players from both teams. Even the referee, I felt, succumbed to their profanities thrown at him by the veteran players that his balls shrank and he kept as quiet as a mouse throughout. We took like 10 minutes (everything happened so quickly that you sometimes feel it's longer than it took) to cool everything down and played on of course. Despite the never-ending “slow” but high tackles and the “gentle” shoulder nudges, we persistently showed our maturity and immaculate skill which allowed us to satisfactorily win them by a 6-1 score line. The goal we gave away was obviously a consolation. I guess we gave the goal away because we appreciated the time they took off to come and show us their own brand of soccer while apparently neglecting their duties as a father and breadwinner. In all games I believe we must compete only in the spirit and willingness to bring out the best in each other.

Going to Gotham Penthouse soon. Friends only called me coz’ it’s ladies night and it’s free for them. I was flatly denied when I asked if they would pay for my cover. Call themselves friends….